Recently a Twitter user posted a question to Chris Perkins of Wizards of the Coast asking for suggestions for running the awesome 12 issue Dungeon magazine adventure path Age of Worms written by Eric Mona, and originally published in Dungeon magazine between July 2005 and June 2006.
I ran this adventure path for my own group, and it is a long haul. To be honest, we only made it as far as the fourth issue before life got in the way. I would love to run it from beginning to end one day, but at the moment I’m gearing up for Storm King’s Thunder.
To help out this gentleman DM, and any other DMs who may be running Age of Worms for the first time, here is a list of resources to help run the adventure.
- First and foremost, you can still buy PDF copies of those particular issues of Dungeon from the Paizo web site. Even if you own all the print copies, it’s still worth considering getting the PDFs so you can get the maps and illustrations, as well as being able to copy and paste text. This is particularly helpful if you are planning to use a VTT like Roll 20 (my personal favourite) or Fantasy Grounds (also good, but expensive imo).Official Age of Worms PDFs: http://paizo.com/dungeon/products/issues/ageOfWorm
- In addition to the Dungeon issues, Dragon magazine ran a concurrent series of articles called “Wormfood” to support each adventure. They aren’t necessary, but they’re helpful.List of the articles: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2k2xn?Worm-Food-IndexPurchase PDF copies of those Dragon issues from Paizo: http://paizo.com/dragon/products/downloads
- Age of Worms Overload. This was an official web-only PDF from Paizo (the former publishers of Dragon and Dungeon magazine). It is FULL of important and useful info about the overall campaign, NPCs, etc. Get it! http://paizo.com/download/dungeon/AgeofWormsOverload.pdf
- The Paizo forums: There is a treasure trove of info for this adventure path on the official Paizo forums, including errata and lots of ideas for making the adventure even better. http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/olderProducts/dungeon/ageOfWorms
- Here are some fan-made battle maps: http://educatedgamer.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=36
- A 5e conversion for the first adventure “The Whispering Cairn” on DM’s Guild: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/193400/DD-5th-ed-conversion-Age-of-Worms-The-Whispering-Cairn
Unfortunately I can’t seem to find my original notes that I had on the computer, only the printouts, so I can’t share those yet, but will post them if I find them. I really recommend reading the entire adventure path before you begin, and making a flow-chart, or mind map that outlines all the important NPCs, and their plans, as they all intertwine.